Club Newsletter

Contact Us

AARA May Newsletter

                                                      The May 2018 AARA Newsletter

The Aroostook Amateur Radio Association

                                                    May 1, 2018

                                                            AARA Meeting  April 5, 2018

Attendance:

David Deschesne, KB1EBG

Ivan Shapiro, WK1W

Joan Shapiro, W9RLH

Roy Woods, KB1WGN

James Jalbert, KC1ECV

Jason Chasse, KC1HLA

Bill Johnson, KC1WLJ

Sonny Packard, K1VOR

Bryan Lennon, K1BQY

Steve Sandelier, N1NXU

Steve Vance, W1SPV

Michelle Sandelier, XYL

Lane Moir, KC1IVX

Dave Berry, KV1S

 

Online:

John Hotelling KC1DRW

 

Call to Order:  18:00

 

Treasurer’s Report:    $4230.62.  Have another $40 dues in cash needing to be deposited and another 20 in PayPal.. Ergo $4,290.62

Secretary’s Report:  March Minutes approved

Interference with Repeater:  Nothing to report

Field Day:  Got approval to use forestry building and surrounding land at fairgrounds.  Michelle suggests if you have a cot & pillow, bring and sleep over in nice building.  President Shapiro wants to have testing session field day.  Got building for free, Roy suggested we make a donation to Fair association for $100.

EMCOM – Feb meeting reaffirmed bylaws.  Roy to remain as Emergency Coordinator for Aroostook.  Talked about weather net.  March 17 reviewed annual report from ARRL.  Maine has 151 ARES members.  Kristin Simas, Red Cross Coordinator for Maine attended meeting via internet.  Continue to check radios on monthly basis.  Next drill April 21 in Madawaska.

Public Information Officer:  Nothing to report.

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

 

Whomever has equipment or other club property should contact Pres. to provide list.

Looking for programs for upcoming meetings.

John Sakowich, KC2UZT from Silver Ridge, Maine.  He’s taking control of Leon Botting’s repeater in Island Falls.  Looking into linking with repeater grid in Lincoln so Northern Maine could be linked all the way to New Hampshire border.  Could have a chance to place equipment at Weather Service in Caribou.

VE sessions.  Prior to Laurel VEC coming into our area, we got along well with VE sessions, tested and some joined the club.  Since they are competing with our club (they don’t charge for testing) we are not in the loop with new Hams in the area.  Laurel is costing us the opportunity to be in contact with those who pass the test.  Ivan is Laurel VE so he can at least be at test sessions to see who the new people are.  Ivan unhappy with how Laurel is conducting testing.  Steve N1NXU still has all paperwork necessary to test.  Ivan would like to have a test prior to Field day and a test at Field day.

Old Business: 

James moved to adopt revised Constitution and Bylaws.  Dave Deschesne seconded.  Approved unanimously.

 

New Business:

Sonny moved to donate $100 to Fair association for use of their building.  James seconded.  Motion passed unanimous.

Application for Lane Moir, KC1IVX  Bill Moved to accept application. James second.  Approved Unanimous.

Jim KC5UEQ has ICOM model 720 HF transceiver given to him by wife of silent key.  Wants to raffle it off for $10 per ticket and have proceeds go to club as a donation.

Steve N1NXU asked Dwayne to check with church for Spring Social.  Dwayne will check with pastor and get us a date.

Sonny suggested moving the meeting to 7pm to help more people be able to come.  Might be an issue with library.  Steve Vance will ask librarian to see if this new schedule would be okay.  Ivan will then poll other members.

Meeting Adjourned:  Motion to adjourn by Sonny, seconded by Roy.  Approved.  Meeting adjourned 18:43.

 

Respectfully submitted,

David Deschesne, KB1EBG

 

 

Coming Events:

Mondays 0900 coffee @ Tim Horton’s in Caribou

Mondays 2000 Aroostook Emergency Net 146.730

Saturdays Breakfast Tim Horton’s P. I. @ 0730

Thursdays coffee/breakfast at Teresa’s in PI, 8:45

May 3rd. at 6:00 PM AARA meeting.

May 19th. 6:00 PM Spring Social

 

 

AARA meeting:

The Aroostook Amateur Radio Association will hold its monthly meeting this coming Thursday May 3 at 6 o’clock (18:00 EDT, 22:00 UTC) at the Presque Isle Library, 2nd and State Streets, Presque Isle, Maine.  The following members who participated in comms for the race will present the program:

 

Derrick Ouellette KW1A

Dave Berry KV1S

James Jalbert KC1ECV

Bryan Lennon K1BQY

COMMUNICATION  IS ESSENTIAL FOR SAFETY DURING CAN-AM SLED RACE
THIS IS HOW WE DO IT–HAM RADIO

As usual, refreshments will be served
As always, the public is invited

 

Spring Social:

The AARA Spring Social will be held on Saturday May 19 this year.   Please put it on your calendar and plan on being there.  It will be held at the Dunntown Church in Wade.  If you need directions, email me. 

We will meet by 6:00PM and hopefully eat around 6:30.  It will be a pot luck dinner.   So bring a covered dish to pass.

Don’t forget your place settings and something to drink if you want something other than coffee. 

We will also have a Chinese auction so gather up your unused items, magazines, VHS & DVD’s, or other items etc and donate them to the cause.

 

We hope to see you there.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>