Club Newsletter

Contact Us

AARA April 2018 Newsletter

The April 2018 AARA Newsletter

The Aroostook Amateur Radio Association

                                                       April 1, 2018



AARA  February 1, 2018


David Deschesne, KB1EBG

Tammy Deschesne, KB1IGV

Bill Johnson, KC1WLJ

Sony Packard, K1VOR

Steve Sandelier, N1NXU

Roy Woods, KB1WGN

Ivan Shapiro, WK1W

Joan Shapiro, W9RLH

Sam Barrett, W5KF

Jason Chasse, KC1HLA

Steven Vance, W1SPV

Dave Berry, K1BQY

Michelle Sandelier, XYL

James Cerrato, KC5UEQ


Via online: Darren Woods, KC1ERZ


Call to Order:  18:00

Treasurer’s Report:  16 cents interest.  Total of $3650.30 in account.  No other activity to report.

Secretary’s Report:  approved unanimous

Interference with Repeater:  Some have tried listening to repeater in reverse.  Malicious interference doesn’t seem to be in Caribou or Limestone.  Sam says somebody was keying up on repeater output frequency, S-9 no static, probably located in Presque Isle.  Generally not what we’ve been hearing.

Field Day:    Jim Cerrato.   Nothing to report.  Jim waiting on phone calls to be returned.

EMCOM – Last meeting Jan. 20.  Did training on weather net.  13 members attended, went well.  Decided to do weather net Monday nights after regular 2M net.  Purpose to get proficient at doing weather net.  Open to all members.  Have quite a few members that need CERT training.  If anyone else interested, let Roy know.  Got some real great reports from all over Maine about the Aroostook ARES team – most active and biggest in State, really impressed.  Continue to check Ham radios in hospitals, weather bureau and EOC on monthly basis.  Sent spreadsheet to State on reports of tests.  Next meeting Feb 17 at Caribou EOC.

 EXECCOMM – Met over past weekend.  Bylaws and Const. hasn’t been looked at since 2012.  Came up with bullet points that will be emailed out to EXCOMM and voted on at March meeting.  One point will be an “affiliate” category for organizations like the weather service.

 Nominating Committee:  Sam Barrett gave report on nominating committee.  All current officers agreed to stand for reelection.  Committee recommends current office holders be re-nominated with understanding that further nominations are open up until election.  Was discussed that continuing to run same folks over and over not the long term plan.  Secondary recommendation to get people who will do the work get involved to learn the roles for continuity of club.  While some who are qualified may not have the time, work can be delegated to others.  Would like to begin grooming next year’s candidates within the next two or three months.

Current nominees for 2018 election:

President, Ivan Shapiro WK1W

Vice President, Roy Woods, KB1WGN

Treasurer, Steve Sandelier, N1NXU

Secretary, David Deschesne, KB1EBG

Tech. Advisor, James Jalbert, KC1ECV

Asst. Tech. Advisor, Bryan Lennon, K1BQY

Public Information Officer, Jim Cerrato, KC5UEQ

Safety Officer, Boyd Spencer, KC1DRX


– Education resources on website, highly recommend YouTube.

– Jan. David KB1EBG gave talk on DMR, willing to do that again at another meeting with more in attendance than Jan. meeting.

– If anyone has program that they would like to give, please email Pres. Shapiro

 Old Business: -none –

New Business:  Constitution specifies Secretary shall keep log of club property.  Haven’t done this yet.  President sent list to Secretary of what property he was aware of.  List will circulate to club members via E-mail for review.   This needs to be logged in.

Honorary membership could be used for people who donated money to club, or moved away after giving service to club.  Dues won’t be assessed, no voting power.  Pres. would like membership to think about this for next meeting.  Also will feature suggestion for Affiliate Membership  Weather, EMA, emergency services.

– Sonny made motion for club pay for pizza and drinks at March meeting.  Roy seconded.  Approved unanimous.

Meeting Adjourned:  18:33

Yummy cookies and coffee enjoyed by all.

Special presentation by Ivan Shapiro WK1W on tower selection and construction.


Respectfully submitted,

David Deschesne, KB1EBG



Coming Events:

Mondays 0900 coffee @ Tim Horton’s in Caribou

Mondays 2000 Aroostook Emergency Net 146.730

Saturdays Breakfast Tim Horton’s P. I. @ 0730

Thursdays coffee/breakfast at Teresa’s in PI, 8:45

April 5th. at 6:00 PM AARA meeting.

AARA meeting:

Next meeting of AARA: Thursday, April 5. 6:00 PM EDT (18:00) ( 22:00 UTC)

Presque Isle Library. Second and State Streets, Presque Isle, Maine.

Please try to attend:

  1. Vote on updated AARA Constitution & Bylaws, having previously been presented, March meeting.
  2. Program by David Deschesne KB1EBG.

                Topic: Beacons: What are they? How do we use them? Why use them?

                This could really be helpful for comms, especially because of fewer sunspots.

  1. Dues were due in March.  If you haven’t paid your $20 per family you can do it at the meeting….or send N1NXU a check by mail (see qrz page for address)……or via paypal
  2. Refreshments
  3. Fellowship


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>